Termination of tenancy

Here, you can find information on how you terminate your tenancy and what you need to do when you move out. We recommend that you read this information thoroughly before you terminate your tenancy

Billing of consumption


Consumption is payed on account. It is calculated once a year. Therefore, please notice that it can take up to one and a half year from you move until your consumption is calculated. 

If you have payed on account for the consumption Kollegieboligselskabet will hold back 500 DKK from your deposit for any kind of consumption you payed on account. That means, if you pay for heat and water on account, we will hold back 1000 DKK from your deposit. The amount held back will cover any additional payments that the statement of consumption might have. If your consumption fits what you payed on account, then you will get the whole amount that we have held back. This is when the statement of consumption has been calculated. 

Remember that you do not need to unsubscribe with the consumption companies. This is also the case if you pay for power directly to EnergiFyn. Kollegieboligselskabet will make sure to unsubscribe you. You also do not need to read any monitoring devices - the janitor will take care of this at the move-out inspection. 

Transfer of belongings


If you and the new tenant agree that some of the inventory in the accommodation have to be handed over to the new tenant, then you need to fill out the transfer form. The document needs to be filled out by both parties and has to be given to the janitor at the move-out inspection. 

How do I contact the new tenant?

Unfortunately, we cannot give you the contact information on the new tenant. But if you send us an e-mail with your own contact information and a description of why you need contact to the new tenant, then we will send it on to the new tenant. 

What should I do with the items I want to transfer to the new tenant?

As a standard rule, the things you wish to hand over, have to be placed inside a closet, on a loft or in your storage room/basement. Bigger things such as closets, furniture, carpets and the like can never be handed over. You can see more on the transfer form.

If you have any doubts what to do with the items that is going to be handed over, please contact your janitor through an inquiry on MyPage.



In regards to vacating your accommodation, it is necessary for you to clean before you leave. Remember the better overall condition of the accommodation, the better result in regards to the final move-out settlement. A lack of cleaning resulting in us having to correct the situation will have a negative impact on the final move-out settlement, in which the cost of the correction will be added.

To ensure that you clean your accommodation the best way possible, there are two indicative checklists that you can use. Depending on whether you live in an accommodation with its own bathroom and kitchen or you share an accommodation with someone else, there are certain areas that you should pay special attention to when it comes to cleaning.

Accommodations with its own bathroom and kitchen

Checklist for cleaning of accommodations with its own bathroom and kitchen

Shared accommodations

Checklist for cleaning of shared accommodations

NOTE! Please be aware that the state of your accommodation will always be evaluated at the move-out inspection. Therefore, it can  be a good idea to clean close to the move-out inspection, as we will not take into account dirt and so on that have occurred after you cleaned and before the inspection. If you have thoroughly cleaned long before the inspection, then it can be a good idea to do touch-ups shortly before the actual inspection. 



Kollegieboligselskabet discourages painting the accommodation yourself. You risk that your effort does not meet the standards at the inspection. Then the accommodation will be repainted on your account. We use professional painters and therefore have a high standard for painting the accommodation. 

If you in the end choose to paint yourself, then you need to follow the description below.

Painting walls and ceiling in a room has to be done correctly in accordance to the maintenance regulations for your dormitory. In the maintenance regulations, you might be able to find the color and gloss for the paint you need to use. If you paint with another type of paint or color, it can cost you extra when moving out. Doors, windows, panels and other woodwork may not be painted, unless you make an agreement about this with your janitor. 

You can find the maintenance regulations under your dormitory.

How do I do it?
Course of action standardly is as follows: 

• Cleaning:

Stearic, stickiness after adhesive tape etc. need to cleaned/removed. Walls and ceilings need a light clean with a damp cloth.

• Closing holes:

Holes in walls and ceiling are filled with plaster - if necessary twice. After it has dried, grind it down with fine sandpaper until the surface is smooth. 

• Covering:

Floor is covered with cardboard or plastic. The panels etc. have to be covered against the walls and ceiling with masking tape.

• Painting:

Plaster areas and former holes are repainted. After that has dried the walls and ceiling are painted once or twice. The painting has to dry before you paint the second time if needed. You can use your own paintbrushes and paint rollers (lambskin) and you need lighting at ca. 100 W.

• Finishing:

Tape and covering have to be removed. If there are any paint stains, these have to be removed/cleaned.

What happens when moving out?


When you move out from your accommodation, the dormitory's janitor has to do a move-out inspection in your accommodation. This is to register if there are any flaws or lacks in the accommodation, which need to be repaired before a new resident can move in. The move-out inspection is held on the move-out date a the earliest. You will no later than one week before the inspection receive a notice via e-mail for when the inspection is held. It is not possible to change the date of the inspection. 

At the move-out inspection
The accommodation has to be clean at the inspection. We refer to your dormitory's maintenance regulations, which can be found described on your dormitory's page. 
All furniture that is registered to the accommodation also need to be in the accommodation at the inspection. Keys and laundry card need to be turned in to the janitor at the inspection. 
Is the accommodation not ready at the inspection, then we might clean, make new keys and fix the repairs needed on your account. The expenses will be deducted from your deposit.

Inspection report and final settlement
At the inspection the janitor makes an electronic inspection report, which he will send to you via e-mail within 14 days after the inspection. It will state, if there are any flaws or lacks that have to be repaired in your accommodation. The prices for the repairs on the inspection report are only estimates and therefore not final. It depends on how much the repairs will cost in the end. The final costs will be available on your final settlement. You will receive this around 2-3 weeks after your termination date. 

I cannot be at the inspection
We recommend that you always take part in the inspection, but if this is not possible, you have two options. You can choose to hand in your keys at the janitor's or at KBS' office before the inspection. Please use an envelope for the keys with your name and address on. Alternatively, you can get a substitute to take part in the inspection. You will need to create a power of attorney note for the person who will substitute you and make sure this person also brings her/his valid picture ID  and your keys to the inspection. 
If you live in a housing association with multiple toilets, then you need to inform your janitor, which toilet you have been using. You do this by writing an inquiry on MyPage before the inspection has been held.

I am moving internally
If you move internally between KBS' dormitories, then you can get an extra day to move. Your move-out inspection  will be held on the first weekday after your move-out date at the earliest. When you send us your termination, you are welcome to also write that you are moving internally. 

How to terminate your lease


To terminate your accommodation, you need to fill out the termination form. The termination form can be found further down on this page as a link to penneo.com. You fill out the form electronically and sign with your MitId. Notice that the termination only comes into effect when you receive a confirmation from KBS.

Which move-out date should I choose?
When you fill out the form, you need to choose your move-out date. 
The move-out date is the day you move out of your accommodation. On this date, the accommodation have to be empty and cleaned. The move-out date must be at least two weeks before the apartment is terminated. As usual, you have 3 months termination from next 1st or 15th in a month. So, if your accommodation has a termination date of the 15th of April, your move-out date should be no later than the 1st of April.  

What if I move out long before my termination date?
If you move out earlier than the mandatory 2 weeks before your termination date, then KBS will try to rent out your accommodation with a move-in date 2 weeks after your move-out date. For example, if your accommodation has a termination date of the 15th of April, but you move out the 1st of February, then we will attempt to rent out your apartment from the 15th of February. It it happens, you only have to pay rent until the new residents move in. 

What if I don't want to move in anyway? 
If you wish to terminate your accommodation lease even though you have not yet moved in, then you still need to send in the termination form to Kollegieboligselskabet. For the move-out date, you just choose the date, where you would have moved in. KBS will then attempt to rent the accommodation to another party from the move-in date. It is very important that you indicate in the termination form that you do not wish to move in, by writing that in the box titled "Applicants can contact you for a showing".
Rules of termination for your accommodation is also described in your lease §2.

Here you can open, fill in and sign the termination of tenancy form